What to do During a DUI Stop

Even if the cops are helping you and are respectful, having to talk with them is rarely a positive experience. Whether your scenario involves juvenile crimes, traffic or DUI and driving-while-intoxicated crimes or business-related and sex offenses, it's wise to be aware of your duties and rights. If you could be guilty of wrongdoing or could face charges, contact a good lawyer right away.

Identification? Not Necessarily

Many citizens don't know that they don't have to answer all police questions, even if they are behind the wheel. If they aren't driving, they don't always have to show ID either. These protections were put into the U.S. Constitution and seconded by Supreme Court justices. While it's usually wise to be cooperative with cops, it's important to know that you have legal protections in your favor.

Even good guys need criminal defense lawyers. Whether you have broken the law or not, you should take advantage of the protections available to you. Knowing all the laws and being familiar with the various situations in which they are applicable should be left up to good laywers. This is notably true since laws regularly change and legal matters are decided often that make changes too.

There are Times to Talk

While there are times to stay mute in the face of legal action, remember how most cops really want peace and justice and would rather not take you out. Refusing to cooperate could cause be problematic. This is another explanation for why it's best to hire the best criminal defense attorney, such as Family law Summerlin NV is wise. Your lawyer can advise you on when you should volunteer information and when to shut your mouth.

Cops Can't Always Do Searches Legally

You don't have to give permission to search through your house or car. However, if you start to blab, leave evidence of criminal activity in plain sight, or give your OK a search, any data collected could be used against you in future criminal defense proceedings. It's probably good to always refuse searches verbally and let the courts and your defense attorney sort it out later.